List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Collecting requirements for a KDE-wide instant messaging solution
From:       Eike Hein <hein () kde ! org>
Date:       2017-08-09 14:19:11

On August 9, 2017 4:28:49 PM GMT+09:00, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer@kde.org> \
wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 9. August 2017 02:14:44 CEST Jonathan Frederickson wrote:
> > On 08/08/2017 06:19 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > - Support for a decent set of Emoji (not just the ones you can
> create
> > > using
> > > ASCII chars).
> > > Using Unicode to display them is probably okay, as long as users
> can
> > > choose
> > > them from a menu in the client instead of having to paste them from
> > > KCharSelect.
> > > This, too, might sound like nice-to-have for many, but not having
> them
> > > would cut us off from the younger generation. Yes, they use them
> even in
> > > a "professional context". Believe me, I'm seeing it in action every
> day
> > > at work.
> > I'm not sure custom emoji should be a requirement. That pretty
> heavily
> > limits your options, and even some of the major chat platforms
> > (WhatsApp, iMessage, Hangouts) don't support this.
>
> That's why I wrote that Unicode is okay. Unicode now has quite a range
> of
> emoji and that set is growing steadily, so that's fine. Not optimal
> because
> they're black and white, but fine.
> Just not only ASCII ones.
>
> Custom emoji are nice, but definitely not a must.

This is technically completely wrong - nothing prevents Unicode emoji from being \
colored, there are multiple color font technologies in use and Linux toolkits support \
some of them.

A "Unicode emoji" is just a number encoded to a bit sequence. How it's displayed once \
found is up to the client. Unicode is just how you agree on exchanging and storing \
the character.

Cheers,
Eike
--