List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: We'd like your input on improving Akademy
From:       Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-01-05 22:09:33

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 12:11 PM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia@kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 7:16 PM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia@kde.org> wrote:
>> Hey folks :)
>>
>> At the last board meeting we've been discussing about Akademy and how
>> we want it to be next year. We'd love to get your input on this.
>> Most notably we're looking into knowing what would you like to see
>> different in Akademy 2017, and hopefully to be able to count on you to
>> make these changes happen. We'd also like to hear what you'd like to
>> keep for the next year, so we don't get drowned in the changes and
>> forget something important.
>
> Hey folks :)
>
> *poke*
> It'd be good to get more input on this.
>

> Cheers
> Lydia

One change I would love to see is that we pay Kenny for all his
wonderful work, both in advance of and during Akademy. I see him work
tirelessly and so often behind-the-scenes, without much respect or
thanks. At the least, I would like to see a more official position
(something like Akademy Coordinator), even if it is without pay or
only expensed.

One of the ways I see free and open software projects fail is the way
faithful contributors are sometimes ignored. This lack of respect
often leads to burnout, which ultimately hurts the project long-term.
The KDE community should see this trap, and avoid it. Gratitude is an
attitude each of us can grow within ourselves, simply by noticing who
does valuable work which we've not noticed, and openly appreciating
that contribution.

Thank you, Lydia, and thank you Kenny for all you do for the KDE community.

Valorie