List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: [kde-community] Telegram Relay Service
From:       Boudhayan Gupta <bgupta () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-05-07 17:59:46

Hi all,

I just want to clear up some of the confusion regarding this service.

This relay exists only to bridge people who can't, or won't, for some
reason use IRC. KDE Sysadmin, at the very least, neither endorses nor
condemns the use of Telegram.

IRC is a de-facto standard for communications within the free software
world. The protocol is an open standard, and the service we use to
host our channels (Freenode) is well trusted. As far as Sysadmin is
concerned, we will only officially support IRC channels. We will not
register Telegram groups on behalf of KDE and hold admin rights on
them, the way we do for IRC channels. Any Telegram group created for
the purpose of discussions within KDE contributors is not "official",
in the sense it is not supported by KDE Sysadmin in any way. Admin
rights are also held by individuals, not KDE.

Groups which use only Telegram to communicate and not have an IRC
channel are strongly recommended to ask for an IRC channel and request
that the Telegram group and the IRC channel be bridged, so that the
vast majority of people in the KDE community who use only IRC and are
uncomfortable with using Telegram are not excluded from what should be
open discussions.

The purpose of this service is to be inclusive to people who can't or
won't use IRC. It is not to exclude IRC users who can't or won't use
Telegram.

Thanks,
Bouudhayan Gupta