List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: [kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - an alternative draft for discussion
From:       Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-02-09 6:59:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday, February 8, 2016 9:43:55 PM CET Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday, February 08, 2016 09:26:50 Martin Graesslin wrote:
>
> > From the replies I read I have a feeling that you haven't made up your
> > mind
> > yet what the "focus" means. It gives me a feeling that each project to
> > join
> > would be questioned in detail, whether it matches the perceived "focus".
> > Not very welcoming.
>
> well, two comments: how the vision/mission will be used, whether it will be
> used for accepting projects or not into KDE is a topic which hasn't been
> discussed yet, it is not specific to this or another vision draft.
>
> Second, if you consider this "not very welcoming", yes, this may very well
> be. We want KDE to be very welcoming to people and projects working towards
> one goal: great local GUI software (which is much much broader than the
> initial "vision" by Matthias Ettrich).

I have very concrete plans to bring KWin into the cloud: \
https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/10/september-update-for-plasmas-wayland-porting/

How does that fit with a vision for "great local GUI software"? Can I still do
that? Is KDE still a welcoming community for KWin with such a vision? Do I
have to move development somewhere else if I go for the cloud? These are
question which automatically come up when I read that it's about "great local
GUI software". Please clarify how that fits together.

Cheers
Martin