On Saturday 29 September 2012, Stephen Kelly wrote: > Alexander Neundorf wrote: > > To make it short, when upgrading CMake, and causing some pain by this, > > I'd like to have the maximum outcome of it, i.e. the most recent version > > possible. > > To meet that goal, I would suggest bumping to CMake 2.8.11 instead when > it's out and for the appropriate KDE 4 release. This would mean KDE 4.11. I want to upgrade now for 4.10, because we are already running now into problems. > That version will have everything we'll need and want for KDE Frameworks > hopefully: > > http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/CMake_target_usage_requirements#T > ODO > > If we depend on that version we can make our buildsystem changes (in repos > which are not kdelibs) orthogonally to our Qt changes. That is, we can port > KDE 4 to a KDE-Frameworks-quality buildsystem: > > * We won't need to link to qtmain.lib on Windows. The need for that will > be encoded in the Qt4::Core imported target. > * We won't need to use include_directories() for Qt or kdelibs includes > anywhere. That information will be encoded in the Qt and kdelibs imported > targets. For non-Qt non-KDE dependencies we can also look into adding > IMPORTED targets to their find files too. > * We can use qt4_use_modules() extensively or exclusively, simplifying the > port to KDE frameworks on the build system side to changing that to > qt5_use_modules with a sed script. We can add a similar macro/function for > kdelibs stuff with also a simple 4 -> 5 when porting. > > In short - I'd like the KDE 4 CMake dependency to be the same as the > minimum functional and featureful KDE Frameworks CMake dependency to > orthogonalize ease the porting effort to modern 'target orientated' CMake > and away from 'directory orientated' design which we currently have. > > I would like that eventually. Not necessarily as soon as CMake 2.8.11 is > out. > > For kdelibs 4.10, I think it's a good idea to bump the CMake requirement to > at least 2.8.7 so that we can port away from automoc4 already etc. That's > also 'old' enough that recent releases of distros (current Ubuntu at least) > already have it. 2.8.8 has a lot of work on find_package, config mode, and CMakePackageConfigHelpers.cmake, which I consider necessary for creating Config.cmake files, and also per-target include dirs. I really want to have that once we upgrade cmake. > So from the building kde stuff point of view it should be relatively > painless, and we free ourselves from the silly restrictions we have by > having CMake 2.8.6 as the minimum required version, We're at 2.6.4 ;-) > such as not being able to use CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_DIR etc. Yes. Alex _______________________________________________ Kde-buildsystem mailing list Kde-buildsystem@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-buildsystem