List:       kde-buildsystem
Subject:    Re: hidden visibility
From:       Stephen Kelly <steveire () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-19 23:42:11

Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:

> Stephen Kelly <steveire@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> For what it's worth, I don't think we should have code in ecm which
>> appears to work with older compilers unless we actually test it. None of
>> us (I presume?) are still using GCC 4.1 or 4.2 and want to use 'the KDE
>> compiler settings' with it.
>>
>> If in the future someone comes along who wants to have that stuff built
>> into ECM/KDE settings, they should commit to maintaining it and it can be
>> added then, no? Otherwise it's just dead untested code.
>
> FWIW, FreeBSD (and OS X, and perhaps other BSD flavours) are still on
> gcc 4.2.1 (there's work towards making clang the default compiler on
> FreeBSD, but that's another story), so it'd be good to have at least gcc
> 4.2 supported -- is that too much of a burden? I could help test things
> on it if it's needed.

For KDE Frameworks 5, gcc 4.2 is too old. Qt5 requires a much more recent
version (I don't recall which exactly).

For the KDECompilerFlags.cmake file, I don't know. Maybe you want to ensure
that that's usable for non KDE Frameworks code which still uses gcc 4.2.
Currently it has no users outside of KDE frameworks branch.

Thanks,

Steve.