(redirecting from kde-game-devel to kde-core-devel) On Sonntag 26 September 2010, Alexander Neundorf wrote: > On Sunday 26 September 2010, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote: > > There should be clear guidelines defined for python > > projects somewhere in the wiki IMHO. I am not a cmake > > export nor a packager and would really prefer to stay > > out of this discussion. Anyway I would volunteer to > > write up a new small chapter "CMake and Python projects" > > at http://techbase.kde.org/Development/CMake > > if nobody else does. > > This would be really *great*. > I can help with any cmake issues, but I'm no python expert. > Just start it, I'll give comments :-) Before starting, I do have a fundamental question about cmake and python: Who uses cmake? Only the distribution packagers? Or also developers? Or even end users? I can see only one switch in kajongg/CMakeLists.txt: IF(INSTALL_KAJONGG) if that is set, both make (aka compiling) and make install (aka installing) do something in the build directory. If it is not set, both do nothing. but if cmake cannot distinguish between dependencies for compiling and for installing, I do not see how all of the three user groups can get satisfying results. I do not think developers are a problem. If kajongg cannot import needed modules at execution time, they will get an error message and know what to do. Kajongg will even tell them what they need to install in a nice KDialog (although that is rather unpythonic, citing Sebastian Kügler on kde-core-devel) If an end user uses cmake for installation, I would expect the same from her. So only packagers are of concern. And they do not care about dependencies if they do not need them for compiling, they might even patch them out for simplifying and speeding up their build system (as stated by Sune Vuorela and Johannes Obermeyer, distribution packagers for Debian and Suse). So kajongg/CMakeLists.txt and kdegames/CMakeLists.txt should not enforce runtime dependencies and probably not even check for them at all. Am I right so far? And if yes, how do packagers ensure correct install dependencies for their packages? By testing kajongg or by believing what the authors tell them informally? Or should there be a required file like "kajongg/RuntimeDepencencies" for python projects? -- Wolfgang _______________________________________________ Kde-buildsystem mailing list Kde-buildsystem@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-buildsystem