List:       kde-buildsystem
Subject:    KDE Package Prefixes
From:       Mike Arthur <mike () mikearthur ! co ! uk>
Date:       2010-02-26 1:07:33

Howdy,

I'm doing some packaging for KDE on OSX for Homebrew \
(http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew).

One of the problems I've run into is that Homebrew partitions each of it's installed \
packages into their own prefix. For example, the version of KDELibs I have installed \
(and packaged) has been installed into: ~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdelibs/4.4.0

I've got KDEPIMLibs packaged and installed correctly as well. The problem comes along \
when something tries to find KDEPIMLibs.

It uses the file that's at:
~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdelibs/4.4.0/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKdepimLibs.cmake

The problem is that, within this file, it looks for KdepimLibs in \
${KDE4_LIB_DIR}/KdepimLibs/cmake (which expands to \
~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdelibs/4.4.0/lib/KdepimLibs/cmake) where the file is \
actually in ~/Applications/Homebrew/Cellar/kdepimlibs/4.4.0/lib/cmake/KdepimLibs.

Obviously I need to work around this and I'm wondering what you think would be the \
best way to do so. I'd rather not maintain huge patches to the KDE buildsystem out of \
tree as this will get messy and unmaintainable very quickly.

Before I get told this is all a stupid idea, the prefix system won't change in \
Homebrew (and I happen to like it). KDE packages will have to live happily in \
different prefixes somehow. GoboLinux also has this approach but they haven't \
packaged KDE4 yet.

Thoughts?
--
Cheers,