List:       kde-buildsystem
Subject:    Re: EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH for tests
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-09-19 22:55:45

On 19.09.07 18:40:16, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> currently KDE4_ADD_TEST_EXECUTABLE and KDE4_ADD_UNIT_TEST set
> EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH back from bin/ to the current directory.
>
> I think this is a bad idea in general.

In general maybe, but within kde I think its quite ok.

> Imagine this cmake code:
>
> add_executable(foo main.cpp)
> add_executable(bar bar.c)

Tests in kdelibs, kdepimlibs and other modules are in a separate
subdirectory with a separate CMakeLists.txt. Nearly all tests I
converted when adding these two macros were setting
EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH in that CMakeLists.txt.

This is something that at least kdelibs developers want, putting the
tests into the current directory as that way you can easily check bin/
to see which binaries are going to be installed.

> If there are no really good reasons for this behaviour I am very much in
> favour of removing the modification of EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH in the
> KDE4_ADD_TEST_EXECUTABLE (which will be part of KDE4_ADD_EXECUTABLE next
> week) and also from KDE4_ADD_UNIT_TEST.

I object, except if you find a way to put tests into the current
directory while putting usual executables into bin/

Andreas

--
Don't look back, the lemmings are gaining on you.