List:       kde-bindings
Subject:    Re: [Kde-bindings] Stability of Qyoto and QyotoDevelop?
From:       Arno Rehn <arno () arnorehn ! de>
Date:       2010-01-16 17:36:01

On Saturday 16 January 2010 17:36:04 IBBoard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently in the middle of writing an app for Mono and .Net (using
> C# at the moment) with a common back-end and desktop-specific front-ends
> (e.g. WinForms for Windows and currently GTK# for Linux). I use Gnome
> for my daily desktop, but I'm not adverse to using the odd Qt app,
> especially now that Qt4 can look like a native GTK app.
>
> I've seen Qyoto as the Mono bindings for Qt and would really like to try
> it, but QyotoDevelop (Qyoto integration for Qt) doesn't work with the
> latest MonoDevelop. When I asked FireRabbit on Twitter about an update,
> he said that Qyoto was unstable at the moment and that he didn't
> recommend using it [1]. Is this the case or is it usable? And does
> anyone know of any working tools to help build Qyoto apps with MonoDevelop?
>
> I'm far too used to using WinForms for Windows or SWT for Java apps
> where there is a nice, convenient and sensible object-oriented
> interface. All of this C-like GTK is driving me crazy, and it'd be great
> if Qyoto could be the purer OO UI toolkit I need :)
It's sad that Eric has got the impression that Qyoto is unmaintained. Around
one year ago he was developing a Jabber client, using Qyoto. He communicated
with us and we fixed all bugs he reported. As long as Qyoto is in KDE's trunk
it will be maintained and developed.
If someone tells us about a bug in Qyoto we'll fix it as fast as possible.
There are just not many users of Qyoto at the moment, I only know of Eric's
Jabber client (http://synapse.im, but that one is really unmaintained, the
last commit was in May 2009.).

Regarding stability: I am not aware of any major bugs - but as I said, we
don't have that many testers. Everything I tested runs fine.
We are currently in the process of splitting up the large "qt-dotnet" assembly
into smaller assemblies (like qyoto-qtcore, qyoto-qtgui etc.). When these
changes make it into trunk, you probably need to recompile against the new
assemblies. It might also happen that old source code becomes incompatible
with this change. But after that we expect Qyoto's API to be stable.

It currently supports Qt 4.5 and a small subset of Qt 4.6 - full Qt 4.6
support is in the works (it will probably come together with the split-up of
the assemblies).

Apart from QyotoDevelop I don't know of any tool that provides MonoDevelop
integration. But it's really not that hard - just add a reference to qt-dotnet
and you're done. If you don't want to regenerate your ui-source files from .ui
files every time you make a change to the UI, just use QtUiLoader to load them
dynamically at run-time.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask :)
Regards,

--
Arno Rehn
arno@arnorehn.de