List:       kde-bindings
Subject:    Re: [Kde-bindings] Up to date instructions for QtRuby install on OS
From:       Caleb Tennis <caleb () aei-tech ! com>
Date:       2007-01-28 16:35:06

> Maybe some sort of wiki is the best place for this sort of stuff.
> As long as
> google can find the help forum or the blog it is ok though.

Agreed, probably the new developer wiki would be a good place for
it.  This was something that Steven wanted to undertake and I just
helped go through the steps and resolve any issues that arose in the
process.

> OK, I'll make sure the version-info bug is fixed for the next
> release. Other
> than that I couldn't see anything I could really change to improve
> things. I
> find it very disappointing that autoconf/automake don't work better
> on Mac OS
> X as we seem to want to do some pretty standard things. Like build
> a shared
> lib from sources for smoke, or build simple command line tools from
> c++
> sources such as rbuic. Only the qtruby extension is a bit
> problematical in
> that the build system needs to know we're building a bundle, rather
> than a
> shared lib for dlopening. But even that should all be simple stuff
> which
> should just work.

Yeah, I don't know any way to make it better either.  We're just
trying to make sure the instructions are up do date as much as possible.

> The qt4 version of qtruby has cmake files for building now, and
> possible that
> will work better on Mac OS X/Windows - I really hope so. At the
> moment they
> have kde4 dependencies, and I don't know enough about cmake to
> remove those
> for the qt-only parts of qtruby. Also I think it should be possible
> to build
> a gem via cmake, which would be very nice.

Here's to hoping the qt4 version's buildsystem will be much better
than the automake/tools mess!

Caleb