List:       kde-bindings
Subject:    Re: [Kde-bindings] QtRuby and the GPL
From:       Richard Dale <rdale () foton ! es>
Date:       2006-12-16 9:50:34

On Friday 15 December 2006 13:10, Caleb Tennis wrote:
> I'm hoping someone knows the answer to this:
>
> We have been developing internal Qt apps for a few years now, and we have a
> commercial license.  We also use QtRuby pretty extensively.  All of our
> apps are used in-house only, so they're not bound by the GPL per se until
> we release them.
>
> We're getting ready to do just that for some customers.  Basically, the Qt
> based applications will be bundled in an embedded system.  There will also
> be a few QtRuby based applications on the system linking to the same Qt
> libraries.
>
> Now, Trolltech has told me that the commercial license is for development -
> meaning that I have to do my linking against the commercial licensed
> library during my development work.  However, during distribution it's okay
> to link against a GPLd Qt library.  So, if I install the GPL version of Qt
> onto the computer, then there's no problem with using QtRuby apps alongside
> it, are there?
>
> Obviously the QtRuby sources we distribute will be freely available, GPLd I
> suppose. But I want to make sure there's no issue mixing Qt Commercial code
> with QtRuby code on the same computer.
>
> Any thoughts?
Well I'm not really an expert at software licensing I'm afraid, but what you
describe is fine with me. If you think it would be a better idea to have a
dual licensed version of QtRuby then maybe we can work something out. Most of
the code was written by a relatively small number of people, and QtRuby was
derived from PerlQt (does that have an artistic license as well as GPL?). As
your company has sponsored QtRuby development, it seems reasonable to provide
a commercial license in return if you need it.

Whether there is enough demand for a QtRuby paid commercial license scheme
like PyQt, I'm not sure.

-- Richard