List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: small mimetype icons
From:       Torsten Rahn <rahn () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1999-11-16 22:27:01

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The new file dialog displays the small mimetype icons
> as konqueror displays the large ones.
> In fact I discovered konqueror's view for the first
> time and wondered why the small icons are that much
> different than the large and medium ones. Is it
> planned that way or supposed to be fixed? Currently
> there are only about 4 different small icons and the
> file dialog looks rather boring when compared to
> konqueror :)

Due to the 3D-look the type of mimetype is hard
to recognize if you scale it down to 16x16.
The result would be quite acceptable for 16x16-hicolor-
icons though (and this would be the preferred way for
KDE 2.0 concerning hicolor-icons).

But right now we use 16x16-locolor-icons
for the small icons. Using 40 colors only the
results of ´just scaling´ aren´t sufficient anymore.
Therefore we would have three more or less acceptable
solutions for this problem concerning the locolor-icons:

a) a ´naked/empty´ mimetype-icon which is being used for all
   mimetypes. (this is the current situation)
b) all mimetype symbols are displayed without the
   background-paper
c) all mimetype symbols are being displayed with a
   plain rectangular 2d-paper behind

while a) still saves the classification of the icon (i.e.
mimetype) it lacks any further information
b) would show clearly the type of the mimetype but
application-icons and mimetype-icons would be hard to
seperate.
c) would be a quite good way in between. but the icons
would change their shape very much which is a
big nonono if you deal with the same icon in
different sizes.

any further/other opinions?
hmmm,

Torsten