List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: Black shaft
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-09-12 15:37:46

#if Steven M. Scotten
> OK, actually some of my tiles aren't square, but I don't see it as a problem for
> the ones that aren't.

I meant 'not circular' ;)

> 10 tileable backgrounds, ready for critique. I just spun these out,
> experimenting more than designing really. I'll make more as I can.
>
> Tell me what you think of them. I'm especially interested if there's some way I
> can steer these towards a theme someone else is working on.

Ok, I'll comment on the ones I like. I'll put them in preference order, starting
with my least favorite.

bluegreencrisscross: I like the brush, and it tiles very well. It looked better
after I'd played with the colours and contrast a little.

orange_stacks: Looks like tapeworms :) I had to adjust the colours to feel
less sick; when it's a little more subtle it looks good.

sunday_brunch: I wouldn't have thought that this would work as a background,
but it seems like it might. Obviously it needs sorting so it tiles properly,
but I have this feeling it could look quite attractive. It only loses points
because I know I could make it with the gimp very quickly, but I'm just being
unfair and marking on technical merit rather than artistic. It should be higher,
er, down, this list.

blue_angle: Subtle, root icon text still readable. Doesn't hurt my eyes like
other swirly ones do (i.e. most of the Propaganda tiles). Every background
set needs at least one unidentifiable swirly thing.

liquid_canvas: Fairly nice feel - makes my eyes go a little weird, but then
if I reduce the contrast it's much better. It's only 3 colours ! Amazing.

charcoal_sun: Very subtle, and gives the whole desktop a colourful feel. Nice
to work with. Definitely one to brighten up your day !

gold_crinkle: Looks like something I recognise, just not sure what. Good use
of shades here - looks like there's different angles, lighting and material
going on. Changing the dominant hue to blue and reducing the general saturation
makes it look like a window of ice that you can almost see through. Very nice.
With the blue colour scheme, the desktop icon text is very visible.

northbeach: Now this is cool. It makes a pretty good wallpaper, but its
main selling point is how cool it is :) I've spent ages staring at it,
trying to work out how it's made.

faded_paint: Excellent ! Not only does it not make my head swim, it has just
the right amount of detail to make it interesting, it looks like something I
recognise (curtains or wallpaper or both), and it seems very original. If you
change your kwm colour scheme to something with similar colours, the desktop
looks great. This one's staying on my background.

Great work - I hope we get some others like this and that everyone understands
the reasons some deserve more 'points' than others.

There aren't any 'corporate' tiles here, we're going to need a few. Any
volunteers ? Look at the one that comes with the DrawingBoard theme, and
the blue+green MacOS ones to see what I think is suitable.

Cheers,
Rik