List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: New Icons for KDE2.0?
From:       x10 <x10 () datacomm ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-04 11:04:25

At 04-07-1999, you wrote
| Hi,
|
| I know we are a bit late with the 1.1.2-icons but I was thinking if we
| could change several icons for the 2.0-release (for example
| Fonts/WindowColors/Background-setting-icons, ...) so that they actually
| show what the program behind the icon does. Here's an example: the
| application behind fonts.xpm does not set the color of the font but the
| font itself...

I think you have to be careful not to design icons for a function that is
obviously clear what it does. My humble opion is that for users it's
obvious, without using a icon, that you can change the color of a font.
If you don't need to use a icon why should you?
Icons do not replace words, sometimes a icon is better but sometimes it's
better to use words. Too much icons are confusing for a lot of pepole and
make the screen look like a control panel of an alien spaceship.
Icons do not make a program easier to use, good design does.

Just my 2 Euro's

Christine Bastian
Switzerland
 -- Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.