List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: Icons
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-06-03 15:17:49

On Thu, 03 Jun 1999, Laur IVAN wrote:
> helo all,
>
> 	i agree that importing gnome icons would be a mistake (unless someone
> starts to make assorted icons to replace all the kde icons :) ).
> 	The new kde icos look funny (especially the file mimes), but IMHO they
> look to be made with GIMP. In gimp, the litening effect generates a
> matte surface. dunno how, but i couldn't make the nice shiny surfaces i
> make with adobe ps5 in gimp.

Hmm, which versions of Gimp do you use. And which plugins? I'm sure that
most of the best avaiable Gimp-Plugins beat at least those of PS4 by far ...
(Use gflare instead of FlareFX e.g.). It's just a matter of having&using
them ....

> 	few issues though:
> 	1. wouldn't you think into creating a winbloze theme for the new kde,
> coz when koffice will be released, the win$ users to be able to switch
> more easy?

Feel free to do it ... though I can't promise that we'll ship it with
KDE 1.1.2 or KDE 2.0. Personally I don't see any advantage concerning
usability and design. IMO Windows looks quite good but also a little
bit boring. Hmm ... We don't need to copy everything especially not
that! KDE is not a Windows-clone and never was meant to be!

> 	2. someone should talk with the kde-devel guys to do something about
> the toolbar buttons in the default look of kde2, coz they look right

kde-devel has nothing to do with the look and feel of any pixmaps.
These decisions have to be made by the artists. We don't tell the
programmers how to do their job either ...

> like the toolbars in win 3.1 (or worse). the nice raising fx isn't that

We haven't dropped 40-color support yet -- that's why you might think
that they look like windows.

> nice with the black frame on the button :(

We'll target toolbars if we really start to develop for KDE 2. Right now
the artist team is busy with the large High-Color-icons.

> 	3. please take a look @ magellan screenshots on
> ftp://ftp.de.kde.org/pub/kde/Incoming/Attic/ (mancala*) and tell me what
> you think about the pixmaps and what you don't like ... The toolbar
> pixmaps are lighting "onMouseOver". all the pixmaps are 256 colors, but
> they don't have the same palette. plz don't ask me to reduce the colors
> or to unify the palette :)))

I'm sure I already told your co-developer (I don't remember his name --
was it Timothy Whitfield or something like that ??? ...) what I think
about it (some months ago ...).

I don't like that it looks *very much* like Windoze (because of choice of
colors, symbols, etc.) and therefore doesn't match the rest of the style that
KDE shows ... (I don't talk about the fact that KDE-right now uses 40
colors only -- that's another thing ...).
But it's beautiful art nevertheless ... and it's nice to see that we have
another app that can be used instead of M$ Outlook ... (I'm curious to
see those animations that should exist according to your co-developer..)

> 	4. some more screenshots are available @
> http://scare.csis.ul.ie/~ilaur/magellan. any ideas (for pixmaps/ extra
> pixmaps)?

I will have a look at them...