List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Start-up sound - Alpha 1
From:       Ernesto_Manríquez <alejandronova () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-06-14 12:47:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

@Sebastian, @Martin: actually non-positive feedback is A LOT better than no
feedback at all; gives me hints about what to do and what is wanted by the
community. So, length is good, but the sound needs to be smoothed. A lot.

I'll work in another draft. We have a bit more than three weeks until the
artwork freeze, so, please, negative or positive, try to comment here soon
so I can hear you before the deadline :)

2013/6/14 Sebastian Kügler <sebas@kde.org>

> Hi Ernesto,
>
> On Wednesday, June 05, 2013 12:31:05 Ernesto Manríquez wrote:
> > I was tracking the discussion. If I understand well:
> >
> > 1. You want to get rid of the current KDE start-up sound. It's too long,
> > incoherent with the current elegance marketing theme, and consequently my
> > attempt to make another sound compatible with it is long too and it has
> > be scrapped. So, compatibility with the current sound theme is not an
> > issue.
> >
> > 2. I'm sending now a new sound, beta quality (it lacks post processing
> and
> > the tones are not final) based in a completely new concept: a tritone,
> > symbolizing three letters (KDE), and with a soothing, yet compelling,
> > sound. I've done a piano intro for that and the total length is 4 secs.
> If
> > we get rid of the piano intro we can cut ~1,3 s, so we can get a pretty
> > good start up with a 2,7 sec length.
> >
> > 3. I want you to beta test this. Ideally, this should be the start up
> sound
> > for KDE 4.11 beta 1. I know there is a deadline (July 8th, Artwork and
> > Binding Freeze) and I want to make full use of it to test my changes.
> >
> > 4. Aaron, ideally, for branding purposes, we must load the start up sound
> > with the splash screen. The splash screen and the sound must be an unity,
> > to introduce our desktop. Is that possible?
> >
> > Well, here it is, attached to this mail. It's 74 KB, so it won't be an
> issue
> > for many of you.
> >
> > Ernesto Manríquez.
>
> I think it is still way too "in your face". Something really subtle, almost
> unnoticeable would be better. I actually quite liked the idea of a wave
> arriving on the beach. Have you tried that?
>
> Thanks for working on this, even if my feedback for this first draft is not
> really positive.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> sebas
>
> http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org | GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9

“Conserva celosamente tu derecho a reflexionar, porque incluso el hecho de
pensar erróneamente es mejor que no pensar en absoluto”.

Hipatia de Alejandría