List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Fwd: Re: [Back to Basics] Better animation for KWin effects
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-10-01 16:30:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 01 October 2012 18:11:28 you wrote:
> my main personal wishes with kwin's effects are:
>
> * consistent, fast timing for all transitional effects; inconsistency gets
> noticed by the eye and makes it feel less "real"
*nods* Maybe we could set up a wiki page to collect all information (which
effect animates in which way and how long)?
> * keep states between transitions minimal; e.g. fading out when closing
> should not go through many steps and should fade quickly (so an OutCubic).
> basically, anything where something goes away should go away faster at the
> begining; antyhing where something "comes" should start quickly; this
> matches a person's desires quicker so that they aren't "waiting" for the
> animation (linear easing curves work in some cases, of course, like the
> sliding of the focus/windows in alt tab boxes)
that's part of what I asked here in this thread. I want to have some hints on
how to do it, it's just something I'm lacking
> * transitions everywhere: for instance when moving a window it instantly
> goes translucent, a 100ms transition (even though it would only be 1-2
> frames) would probably add something;
complain to sebas who committed the broken code back in Tokamak I or II (the
one where you broke the systray ;-) We already discussed internally that we
want to move the translucency effect to the new AnimationEffects Framework to
have all these transitions for free. It just needs someone writing it.
> another example would be when a
> window comes in front of another window via alt-tab, instead of just
> instantly showing it, a very fast fade in would be great.
very difficult with the current way how KWin works. We simply cannot crossfade
windows at all (that might be easy to fix) and the effects completely lack
information about stacking order changes (though for Alt+tab that would
probably not matter)

> > the other hand, "Normal" sometimes really does feel slow-ish. But that
> > depends on each plugin.
> >
> > I think we miss maximize effect
>
> +1 ... this makes a huge difference; i played with the one that was included
> with the generic animations plugin when it was being developed and the
> difference is immediately noticeable. it removes one of the last bits that
> is not consistent.
I'll ask Thomas whether the code is in a mergable state. Would really make
sense to have that one.

Cheers
Martin