List:       kde-artists
Subject:    [kde-artists] [Back to Basics] Better animation for KWin effects
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-09-30 16:35:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi kde-artists,

(please CC me in replies, I'm not subscribed)

recently I have seen videos about the new compositor for Elementary OS [1] and
I realized that their animations look much smoother than what we have in KWin.

But KWin itself is nowadays fast, we can do the framerate needed to have
smooth animations and we have heard quite often that changing our global
animation speed from "Normal" to "Fast" makes KWin feel smoother.

Given that we can see that our animation durations are too long. And I want to
fix that but for that I need your help :-)

I personally have no idea how long the durations should be and I guess many
are just random picked values. But I hope that you could help telling me how
fast the animation needs to be for a specific effect. If you want to work on
one of the effects, just let me know and I tell you which config option you
need to tweak. Most effects have a configuration interface and some have a
hidden config option.

Also we could tweak the easing curves [2] which are used in the effects. Most
are either still linear or a simple easeIn/easeOut, I would love to have
something better there.

Last but not least I'm open to define a set of new effects. Unfortunatelly QML
is not yet supported, but we should be able to write some effects quite fast
if you describe them properly. Also it's totally fine to have animations which
require shaders.

So I hope for some input from you :-)

Best Regards
Martin Gräßlin