List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] User Icons
From:       Eugene Trounev <eugene.trounev () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-11-11 14:54:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Well there are two simple solution for that:
1) Live with it
2) Implement better scaling algorithm

And anyhow, all our icons as of right now are non scalable. The are
pre-scaled PNGs. So demand scalability from user icons is a little too tall
of an order.

Best Regards,

Eugene Trounev

[it-s]

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Hugo Pereira Da Costa <
hugo@oxygen-icons.org> wrote:

> On 11/11/2011 03:20 PM, Hermann Thomas wrote:
>
> > Hi Hugo,
> > They don't need to be scalable. The other OSses have them in something
> > like 256x256. In the Win7 Loginscreen there is a little more space, so they
> > are shown a little bigger. They will never be shown in bigger sizes than
> > that.
> >
> Well, I was more thinking of other places than the login screen (e.g. in
> the startup menu, for instance) where the same icon could be used, either
> enlarged, or shrunk. In both cases, this has poor result if not in scalable
> format. (or you'd need to generate all sizes manually)
>
> But I'm really no expert.
>

> Hermann
> >
> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> >
> > > Datum: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:46:06 +0100
> > > Von: Hugo Pereira Da Costa<hugo@oxygen-icons.org>
> > > An: kde-artists@kde.org
> > > Betreff: Re: [kde-artists] User Icons
> > > Personnaly I'd vote for yes, new user icons would be good (the kde ones,
> > > from the screenshot below, are indeed the one I find the most ugly).
> > >
> > > The "picture" way looks good to me, unless someone has a better idea
> > > concerning a set that would fit "oxygen" better, which the current does
> > > not.
> > >
> > > Does these icons *really* need to be scalable ? Are they actually scaled
> > > ?
> > >
> > > Hugo
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > > >
> > > set of User Icons. I produced a Set years ago which wasn't perfect, but
> > > still better that whats there today and  at least it made a start . To
> > > understand better what I mean, I took a screen shot from all major
> > > Desktop OS and
> > > put it in my Wuala drive.

> > > worst. The Pics from Gnome are also better, but seem a little stolen for
> > > me. I think I recognise the Space shuttle and Chess Figures from WinXP.

> > > with the appropriate Licence. With the once I have I could produce a nice
> > > set.

> > > icons. Yes Even the conductor icon for Root, and replace them with a
> > > complete
> > > new Set.

> > > then why aren't all Wallpaper Vector Papers? Then someone said the old
> > > are
> > > nice and he likes them. Yes that might be true, but some people still
> > > like
> > > KDE2 and KDE has moved on.

> > > effort, or If I should wait another few years again to write to this
> > > list.

[Attachment #5 (text/html)]

icons as of right now are non scalable. The are pre-scaled PNGs. So demand \
scalability from user icons is a little too tall of an order.</div>

style="margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;text-indent:0px">Best \
Regards,</p><p style="margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;text-indent:0px">

style="margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;text-indent:0px">Eugene \
Trounev</p><p style="margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;text-indent:0px">

[it-s]</p><br>
Costa <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a \
href="mailto:hugo@oxygen-icons.org">hugo@oxygen-icons.org</a>&gt;</span> \
wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px \
#ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

solid;padding-left:1ex"> Hi Hugo,<br>
They don&#39;t need to be scalable. The other OSses have them in something like \
256x256. In the Win7 Loginscreen there is a little more space, so they are shown a \
little bigger. They will never be shown in bigger sizes than that.<br>

Well, I was more thinking of other places than the login screen (e.g. in the startup \
menu, for instance) where the same icon could be used, either enlarged, or shrunk. In \
both cases, this has poor result if not in scalable format. (or you&#39;d need to \
generate all sizes manually)<br>

solid;padding-left:1ex"> Hermann<br>
-------- Original-Nachricht --------<br>
                solid;padding-left:1ex">