List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] location of application icon: kaffeine
From:       Harald Sitter <sitter.harald () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-17 8:54:11

I proposed a solution to this some months ago, but did not yet come to
implement it.

Basically my plan was to have an own oxygen-app-icons set that only
contains application-specific icons (such as kaffeine and amarok and
...) living in one place in SVN (supposedly next to the oxygen
standard folder) but installs its icons to hicolor then each app which
does not have an icon can runtime depend on this icons package.

That way the icons are still all in one place and maintainable by the
Oxygen team and at the same time if an application does not have a
"proper" hicolor icon the oxygen icon can be used instead.

(Should the application grow an independent hicolor icon all we need
to do is move the app icon from the app-icons set to the main set,
hence not having it installed in hicolor.)

If anyone feels like shuffeling things around .... ;)

For example:

In SVN we have
- kdesupport/oxygen-icons
- kdesupport/oxygen-app-icons
becoming individual tarballs of which the latter installs to hicolor.

in oxygen-icons is a konqueror.png and in oxygen-app-icons is an amarok.png

Amarok runtime depends on oxygen-app-icons for its hicolor icon since
it does not ship an own version.
Konqueror does *not* runtime depend on oxygen-app-icons because it got
its own hicolor icon. If Konqueror were installed without oxygen-icons
it would use its own hicolor icon, if oxygen-icons were installed (and
used as default) the Oxygen konqueror icon would get used.