List:       kde-artists
Subject:    [kde-artists] Icon sizes in .theme files
From:       Christoph Feck <christoph () maxiom ! de>
Date:       2009-12-08 19:39:40

Hi,

Icon themes announce the available sizes for the individual categories in the
.theme files. For example, Oxygen has:

DesktopDefault=48
DesktopSizes=16,22,32,48,64,128,256
ToolbarDefault=22
ToolbarSizes=16,22,32,48
MainToolbarDefault=22
MainToolbarSizes=16,22,32,48
SmallDefault=16
SmallSizes=16,22
PanelDefault=32
PanelSizes=16,22,32,48,64,128,256

I would like the following two changes be done to the individual icon themes,
if possible:

+DialogSizes=16,22,32,48,64,128,256

The reason is that KDE Workspace 4.4 supports a new icon category ("Dialog"),
which is used for "large" icons in dialogs (such as icons above the label in
settings dialogs), in contrast to "small" icons, which are usually used next
to the label text. I currently have to work around this by simply using
"DesktopSizes" as the available list of sizes for dialog icons.

-SmallSizes=16,22
+SmallSizes=16,22,32,48

Newer displays might have very high DPI (above 200), and being restricted to
just 22 pixel size might be too limiting. I looked at the coverage of icons in
Oxygen theme, and it looks like nearly all of them are available in 16,22,32,
and also 48 size. KDE Workspace 4.4 allows the user to specify the icon size
used for small icons (it did allow this before, but this rarely worked).

It would be nice if the .theme files could be changed to reflect the available
sizes and categories.

Thanks,
Christoph Feck (kdepepo)