List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Bug 163311
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-07-06 4:25:46

Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 01:00:18PM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Icons should not be moved around to address this issue -- doing so
>> is a kludge.
>>
> oh, that issue, right. from previous discussions you should know that
> i agree with you on that point ... but, well, those who do the work
> can f**k themselves as much as they feel like. who cares - the users
> shouldn't notice much of that (of course they will notice some, as
> moving hundreds of icons never goes without mistakes. but who are we
> to dictate efficient processes to artists?)

So, how do we get the code to do this rather than having to move the
icons around.

Note: it appears that the solution in GNOME is that apps install actual
HiColor icons in 'hicolor'.  But, KDE4 has apps install Oxygen in
'hicolor'.  It works, but it needs to be improved (i.e. fixed).

>> I think that it was wrong to rename the existing HiColor icons to
>> KDEClassic; it made no sense.
>>
> uhm, well. maybe. who cares.

Actually, KDEClassic users care.  The real problem was the consequence:

	kdeclassic -> crystalsvg -> hicolor

KDEClassic inheriting CrystalSVG was a problem since the styles clash
rather badly.

It should only matter if a KDEClassic icon doesn't exist and a HiColor
one does, but due to a bug (now fixed by JRT) inheritance occurred when
a size was missing.

IAC, I think that it would be better (theoretically at least) to have:

	kdeclassic -> hicolor -> crystalsvg

and the current standard and code doesn't work this way.

The example is that the app installed both a CrystalSVG and a HiColor
icon.  The user choose KDEClassic and the menu shows the CrystalSVG
icon.  That is clearly a bug.

--
JRT