List:       kde-artists
Subject:    [kde-artists] Kickoff
From:       Niels Ole Salscheider <niels_ole () salscheider-online ! de>
Date:       2008-06-29 13:28:26

Hello,

I tried KDE 4.1 Beta (from kde4daily) and really liked it. But there are some
things I would change like the appearance of kickoff since it does not fit to
the design of plasma very well (in my opinion).

This is a screenshot of the original desktop I use in a VM:

http://stuff.salscheider-online.de/kde/original.png

I think that the kickoff menu should be darker since the panel at the bottom
is completely black – thus there would be two color schemes: a grey one for
applications and a dark / black one for desktop panels and plasma widgets,
but not a white menu that does not fit to neither of these schemes.

I have made following mockup last night:

http://stuff.salscheider-online.de/kde/mockup1.png

The menu should be wider so that the font at the bottom could be larger and
the space at the top should be a bit smaller...

If you think that a dark menu is not as ergonomic as a white one this mockup
might be an alternative:

http://stuff.salscheider-online.de/kde/mockup2.png

What do you think?

Kind regards