List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] [Fwd:  Icons for: FitToPage, FitToWidth,
From:       Jakob Petsovits <jpetso () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-05-31 23:25:23

On Sunday, 1. June 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 31 May 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 May 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > > One proposed solution for this is to rename "viewmag" to "page-zoom".
> > > This appears to be a poor choice since:
> >
> > i would agree.

It's the general feeling that "page-zoom" is not an ideal name, and after
having seen some more examples of how applications use a generic "zoom" icon,
I do agree with that.

I also talked with dobey (naming spec maintainer) about this issue, and one of
the conclusions for me is that the root problem here is the usage of a single
icon for two different use cases:

a) as a "zoom tool", like in drawing applications such as Krita or Inkscape.
b) as icon for the "Zoom" menu which does not do anything by itself but
   just contains a set of concrete zoom actions ("Zoom in", "Zoom out",
   "Zoom to original size", etc.).

In order to make sane icon naming possible here, we need to distinguish
between those different concepts and look at them separately.

The "zoom tool" use case is relatively easy from a naming point of view, and
after talking to dobey there is little doubt that "tool-zoom" should be the
right name for such an icon (next to other drawing tools that will also be
prefixed with "tool-*").

The menu use case is the one that causes all the confusion. It would be worth
a though to consider dropping this icon, as it does not represent an actual
action. Nice to be on the usability list now, so my question goes:

Could the "View" menu also do without the "zoom" icon for that submenu
(and just contain icons for the concrete zoom actions?). That would simplify
this task quite considerably.

If this icon can't be missed then we might take it as a hint that it's just an
icon for use in a specific menu, and call it "view-zoom" - for the "Zoom"
submenu in the "View" menu. Both dobey and I would rather prefer not to have
an icon for this use case at all, though.

Thoughts? Wishes,
  Jakob