List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Kjots application icon and
From:       Jakob Petsovits <jpetso () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-05-22 11:15:24

Hi Stephen!

Just covering the address-book-new icon in this mail, I'll not comment on
the KJots application icon for now.

On Wednesday, 21. May 2008, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> I copied part of x-office-address-book and folder-new to make
> x-office-address-book-new.
>
> Let me know if this is an acceptable way to make icons, because I'll also
> need a -remove icon that I can make the same way.

That's how I do it as well when I combine icons, and perfectly acceptable.
However, good icons will also need small sizes so they don't look blurry at,
say, 22x22 or 32x32 where they're used most often.

Could you try doing that combination work once more for those sizes where
a small x-office-address-book icon exists?

> KJots needs this, and it might also be part of the spec according to the
> comment here for it: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Oxygen/Missing_Icons.

Yep, it's indeed in the spec and should just be called address-book-new -
the "x-office-" prefix is because the plain address book is intended to be
used like a mimetype, and resembles other specified x-* from the spec.

The advantage of leaving out the prefix is that we don't fall back to
x-office-address-book even if the -new icon doesn't exist, so we always get
an icon with that (+) badge.

> I notice there are a lot of different (+) decorations in the icons where
> the width of the + is different. Is that deliberate or should they be more
> consistent? (eg, contact-new and bookmark-new).

Hm, I didn't yet notice the width being different for those...
it's hardly recognizable when looking at them, even when having read
this becore. The size can't differ by significant amounts, I think.
Should probably be consistent, though.

Anyways, if there are different choices like this, the best idea would be to
a) use the most current one, or if you don't know which one that is,
b) use the one that is in widest use.

But given that the difference is hardly visible at all, I would say that your
icon is very much ok. You can safely commit it as actions/address-book-new,
especially when coming with additional small-size versions.

Wishes,
  Jakob