List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] KDE Icon naming data base
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-07-11 0:08:37

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 July 2007, you wrote:
>> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>>> we already have used a spreadsheets for exactly this stuff
>>> playground/artwork/Oxygen/docs/ for the reasons you describe.
>> I found a spreadsheet that is 3 months old and appears to be for a
>> slightly different purpose.  If this is being actively worked on, I
>> wonder why nothing was changed for 3 months.
>
> what i was trying to communicate was that, yes, we have indeed used
> spreadsheets instead of the wiki in the past.
>
>> What Jakob Petsovits says is needed is an action plan to get all of the
>> names correct.  If this spreadsheet is for that purpose, might I ask if
>> we already have a plan?  And, why are we keeping the database a secret?
>
> no,

Then I might suggest that we formulate one.

> and we aren't. :-)
>
>>> we also prefer the ODS format if at all possible (i don't even have
>>> gnumeric installed, and i doubt i'm the only one)
>> Well, I really don't like OpenOffice.
>
> OO.o isn't the only option. both gnumeric and kspread support ODS.

In theory, KSpread supports Gnumeric files, and Gnumeric supports ODS
files.  Unfortunately, this is only a theory.

>> and "new-icon-name" are because I was promptly told that I shouldn't use
>> the KDE3 icon names,
>
> right; this list is, AFAIK, is a mapping from -current- names (e.g. what is in
> svn trunk/ right now) to the names we want to use...

Well, I presume that you mean the Oxygen name as the "current" name (the
KDE3 icon names are in trunk too).  So, if an icon doesn't yet exist in
Oxygen and doesn't have a FD.o spec name, then the entry would be blank?
  Not very useful. :-)

OTOH, we could take the KDE3 icon name from trunk as the old name and
the FD.o name (if it exists), or other new style name (if it has been
assigned yet) as the new name.  Yes, there are cases where there is an
Oxygen icon that was committed with the wrong name and I was making
individual notes for them.

In all cases, the KDE3 icon name is a pointer to an actual image.

>> then was told that I should simply ignore the icon
>> if it was in Tango and not in the FD.o spec.
>
> right; this is because if it is in Tango it will get upstreamed from there.
> these are about icons that we have that aren't in the FD.o spec or going
> there.

Why does the icon name being in Tango and not in FD.o spec make it an
invalid icon.  We do need some of the icons in this classification.  In
some cases, the Oxygen icons already exist and have been committed with
the correct Tango only name.

> the idea is to ensure that the icons we have are using appropriate names given
> the agreed upon naming scheme(s) and marking the ones that don't actually
> appear in the spec, marking which icons we need to rename from their currnet
> names and marking which ones oxygen is just plain missing

Yes, and to do this we need to start with the KDE3 icon names if they exist.

But, my major point is that a list of only what doesn't need doing isn't
much help.  We need a list of everything with a status.

IAC, is there some process in place to determine what will be the
official icon name for icons which are not in the FD.o spec and how will
  the names get final approval.

--
JRT