List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] KDE Icon naming data base
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-07-10 22:54:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 10 July 2007, you wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 July 2007, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >> Do we think that it would be a good idea to post this somewhere on
> >> SVN so that everyone can work on it.
> >
> > we already have used a spreadsheets for exactly this stuff
> > playground/artwork/Oxygen/docs/ for the reasons you describe.
>
> I found a spreadsheet that is 3 months old and appears to be for a
> slightly different purpose.  If this is being actively worked on, I
> wonder why nothing was changed for 3 months.

what i was trying to communicate was that, yes, we have indeed used
spreadsheets instead of the wiki in the past.

> What Jakob Petsovits says is needed is an action plan to get all of the
> names correct.  If this spreadsheet is for that purpose, might I ask if
> we already have a plan?  And, why are we keeping the database a secret?

no, and we aren't.

> > we also prefer the ODS format if at all possible (i don't even have
> > gnumeric installed, and i doubt i'm the only one)
>
> Well, I really don't like OpenOffice.

OO.o isn't the only option. both gnumeric and kspread support ODS.

> and "new-icon-name" are because I was promptly told that I shouldn't use
> the KDE3 icon names,

right; this list is, AFAIK, is a mapping from -current- names (e.g. what is in
svn trunk/ right now) to the names we want to use...

> then was told that I should simply ignore the icon
> if it was in Tango and not in the FD.o spec.

right; this is because if it is in Tango it will get upstreamed from there.
these are about icons that we have that aren't in the FD.o spec or going
there.

the idea is to ensure that the icons we have are using appropriate names given
the agreed upon naming scheme(s) and marking the ones that don't actually
appear in the spec, marking which icons we need to rename from their currnet
names and marking which ones oxygen is just plain missing

> > p.s. why was this cross posted to kde-devel?
>
> Because it is the developers that will determine which of the icons are
> still being used.

this is actual fairly doubtful given what the developers tend to concentrate
on (and it isn't icon names) .. esp not without very specific and clear
instructions, but probably not right now in any case given the necessary work
that is happening for 4.0

> Are we making any effort do determine which icons are
> still needed?

i don't think anyone has audited the icons in kdelibs, no. and that would also
mean looking for candidates for merging or obsoletion.

> If you had read my previous posting there, you would have seen that.

=) i was politely trying to say "this is probably just noise on kde-devel
right now"

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se