List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Icon renaming, TechBase, issues.
From:       Jakob Petsovits <jpetso () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-07-04 12:49:36

On Saturday, 30. June 2007, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Starting a new thread to discuss various issues and my progress.
>
> I have posted a list for "actions":
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Oxygen/namingSpec/actions
>
> Please take a look at this.

Thanks for doing the list, it looks good at first sight and will help with
getting Oxygen right. Also, I find it more straightforward than the list at
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Oxygen/namingSpec .

The only issue I have with your list is that it's a general renaming guide for
any KDE 3 icon theme, but doesn't fit Oxygen at its current state.
That's not a problem by itself, it's still needed, but I think some other
location in the wiki should be more appropriate for the "generic" list,
some location that all icon theme creators can look at.

Projects/Oxygen/namingSpec, especially my action proposal pages, are supposed
to be specifically tailored to Oxygen, which means:
- Track down which icons are in the Oxygen theme at the moment
- Track down which icons are missing from the Oxygen theme,
  according to the spec, and if it's appropriate for us to add them
- Track down which icons in the Oxygen theme are unnecessary,
  and should be removed.
- Find out what KDE needs to have a proper spec implementation as well as
  a theme that fulfills KDE's own needs, and work out suggestions
  for the spec.

So your list is a good starting point, but it needs to be changed in order to
specifically tailor Oxygen. (Please note that I don't want everything to be
Oxygen-specific per se, I just think it's a good idea to have one
implementation finished and take care of the other themes when we're done
with proper naming and xdg discussing and stuff.)

Could you perhaps find a good place in the
http://techbase.kde.org/Development section of TechBase,
and move your list for actions/ there?
I'd then take it as the basis for the Oxygen-specific action proposal in
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Oxygen/namingSpec/actions .

> Note that several icons have an Old Name of [none].
>
> There are two questions to be specifically addressed here:
>
> First is the obvious, am I correct that current or past KDE icon themes
> don't have this icon?
>
> Second, does KDE need such an icon?

I'll look at those issues when I get to actions/. As I said, it looks good at
first sight, thanks very much for doing this.

> I have added 5 fairly new icons which I made for KDE:
>
> view-fit-height
> view-fit-width
> view-fit-window
> view-next
> view-previous
>
> These have also been posted to:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/icon-naming-spec/to-be-named

As discussed, I totally agree with those. Couldn't find out how to create an
fd.o wiki account, but it's good to have the icons posted there.

Cheers,
  Jakob