List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Mimetype icons
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-05-09 0:35:35

Stefan Monov wrote:
> Amen. I've always dreamed of having one icon per file category, e.g. images.
> The actual mime doesn't matter as my apps are generally capable of handling
> them all transparently :)

To further plug my suggestion.

This is true for most image formats.  However, it isn't true for all
image formats.  For example, Jpeg2000 isn't supported by every app, so I
need a separate icon for it.

With word processor file formats, the situation is much less clear.  I
find that application do not handle all formats transparently so it is
necessary to know which is which.

But, yes, the use of generic classes of MIME icon is related to the
ability of apps to transparently support all formats in a class.  I
don't think that we are there yet, so we need to give the user the
option of using specific icons for some MIME types.

--
JRT