List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Request: CSV icons
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2007-05-07 17:59:45

pinheiro said the following, On 2007-05-07 09:37:
>> 1. Pinheiro, I think JRT's icon is a good 1st step, except the font (that
>> could stay as it is or be changed to anything is Oxygen's default, e.g.
>> like in 'java' icon). Regarding <<"a," is a very bad way to do a mime >> :
>> just tell what is your experience or vision re the CSV mime type.
>
> Jaroslaw as i told you a, is not the best mime type imo couse it reflects
the content of the mime and not its actual usage, if possible i think that the
mimes should refelect the usage they have rader than the content, this as many
other things has icon goes is not a exact science, some times mimetypes are
based on the actual "code content" they have couse of historical resons or
couse its sooo obvius.
> im not sure this is the case im no exprience with using such a file, an it
was based on thet that i said that "a," is not a god idea, couse i had litle
idea what it ment, and the ideas that poped out in my head were about pause
(purly random stupid thoughti know). if possible i would like to try to do
some visulal representation of what the user gets if he double press the icon
and open it on the defoult program for it.

Nuno,
For me it is a little bit too hard to follow your tough here.
1. You admit you do not know CSV at all, so chances are any metaphor for CSV
would be unfamiliar to you. If I am wrong, see 3. below.

2. 99.9% users that know what CSV and use it on other OSes already _have_ "a,"
icon installed on the OS.

3. You did not provide alternatives. The current "text-like" icons is inferior
to the proposal. Do you agree here? It refers to far lower-level content, what
is against your rule you described about about not reflecting the content but
meaning. "a," is about meaning to a large extent.
If you like comparisons, take a look at Oxygen's music-related mimetypes: they
all use green "note" metaphor, i.e. a music symbol (for notation), just like
"a," is a symbol of comma-separation.
If you have no alternatives, I'd like to propose assumming most of use agree
"a," is best metaphor we can have now and we cam move on to other tasks. Thanks!

Regarding "double pressing the icon and opening it on the default program for
it" - note that CSV is not an app's mimetype but rather an exchange format
just like a dump of a clipboard contents (it's very often the case) or like an
exported portion of a spreadsheet. Therefore default application would be a
spreadsheet if an office suite is installed.

Visual representation therefore is tabular, as I said before.
Feel free to meet me on #koffice or #kde-artists to get more info.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek