List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] A case for go-{first/previous/next/last} oxygen
From:       Jarosław Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2007-05-01 0:03:46

David Vignoni said the following, On 2007-05-01 01:34:
 > Thanks for pointing this out. I'll wait to hear usability expert
 > opinions but I can already say:
 >
 > - using double-arrow like "fast-forward" would be confusing. I would
 > think it will move more than 1 by 1, but I wouldn't think it means go to
 > the last/first item.

Exactly this is the disadvantage I mean here.

 > - vertical lines instead of dots: that for sure an easy solution that
 > may work well, since it has always been like that before.

I think we have indeed "it has always been like that before"-type of problem
here, and no much space for innovation, especially that expected defautl size
of the icons will be up to 22x22 (it's the same case a with scrollbars).

 > - what about using flags? a "green" flag would mean "start" or
 > "beginning" while a "finish flag" (like in the F1 races) would be "end".

Oh, this looks quite innovative, and thus -- a surprise for users (used to
VCR-like interfaces);
That said -- sure -- we are are bored by dozens of arrows in current GUIs (no
matter this is FOSS, MS or Apple) but again -- "it has always been like that
before".

I have observed non-standard icons introduced by some apps for a quite long
time, (e.g. take a look at this toolbar [1]), and still, to most users, the
lesser evil is when 'already familiar' icons are used.

[1] http://halbiz.ddo.jp/osaru/images/kde.png

BTW, associating meaning directly with colors is against accessibility. A good
thing about black arrows is that these are largely monochrome and consistent
with (expected) look of scrollbar arrows.

That said, I'd love to use nice "F1 flags" in places like wizard/assistant
windows :)

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek