List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] New iconsets for KDE 4
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-04-27 21:41:35

Danny Allen wrote:
> Hi all,
> With KDE 4 around the corner, it is time to make some changes in the
> kdeartwork module to remove the old, unmaintained iconsets and replace them
> with those following our visual goals for the KDE 4 era.
>
> I have evaluated the iconsets available at kde-look.org against several
> fundamental criteria:
> * Completeness
>   Many iconsets, particularly those of a distinctive style, need to be
> reasonably complete, otherwise "gaps" appear across applications.
> * Scalable
>   SVG is a big theme of KDE 4, and provides much more flexibility in
> presentation and manipulation of the icons. Plus the source is easily
> editable (we have suffered from lack of sources in the past).
> * Licence
>   The iconsets need to have a suitable licence (again, in the past, obtaining
> the correct permission and licencing from certain authors has been
> difficult).
>
> There were several sets that seemed initially promising, only to fall down
> heavily on one or more of these criteria.
>
> However, I have selected three iconsets which fulfil these criteria:
> * Lila - http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=39469
> * Nuvola - http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Nuvola?content=5358
> * Primary - http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=39469
>
> (As a bonus, their creators/maintainers are already active KDE contributors,
> and so will be aware of the responsibilities associated with being included
> in the module).
>
> Removed (for many of the above reasons) would be Kids, Slick and Ikons -
> though they would of course remain available on kde-look for enthusiasts.

I think that we need to address the issue of generic icons.  HiColor was
  originally supposed to address this, but now this has been screwed up.
  Our current generic icons were renamed KDEClassic.  However, these are
a bit dated.  I, therefore, suggest that we add a theme for new generic
icons which would inherit kdeclassic.  This theme would not be complete
to start with -- in fact, it would be rather sparse -- and yes, I will
volunteer to the the maintainer.  I don't know what this should be
called but I would suggest "KDEGeneric" so there wouldn't be any further
confusion as to what it was supposed to be.

In another thread I mention the need to resolve this issue: the spec says:
<q>
The lookup is done first in the current theme, and then recursively in
each of the current theme's parents, and finally in the default theme
called "hicolor" (implementations may add more default themes before
"hicolor", but "hicolor" must be last).
</q>
Unfortunately, the Spec doesn't say how this should be implemented.  The
current release has CrystalSVG hard coded before HiColor and this
(especially combined with another bug) causes problems for anyone that
doesn't use CrystalSVG.  The hard coding of CrystalSVG should be
removed.  I suggest that this be made configurable with a file
containing a list of these additional themes to be searched after the
specified inheritance and before HiColor.  Otherwise, we should have the
two generic themes KDEGeneric & KDEClassic hard coded before HiColor so
that when a theme (not an app) is missing an icon that the icon search
will substitute a generic icon, rather than one that is strongly themed.

--
JRT