List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] KDE4 style proposal (to replace phase)
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-04-24 19:12:36

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 April 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I'm most inclined to work on it if people think it would be beneficial
>> to have it in KDE4 proper (since AFAIK Phase is not being ported). Are
>> there any opinions on that?
>
> i think it goes without saying that the more things are ported to kde4 the
> better =) if this will allow users of phase and similar styles to have
> something close to what they like in kde4, i'd say go for it.

Ok, I'll see if I can find time to port it, especially since it seems
phase is not being ported anyway. :-)

> it doesn't need to necessarily go into kdelibs/kstyles, of course, to still be
> useful and worthwhile.

Um, no, it would go in kdeartwork where phase lives now. :-)

(However this means I am going to push, again, for blendColors() in
kdelibs if there still is not such a thing. In branches/3.5 various
forms exist used by Plastik, IIRC Phase, and grepview in KDevelop, and
who knows how many other styles e.g. from kde-look.)

> that said, and slightly off topic, i see a good number of themes in
> kdelibs/kstyles that probably could be moved elsewhere to lighten the kdelibs
> load. or maybe we want to offer a large number of styles by default? they are
> only a couple thousand lines of code each.

Some well-known themes should probably be retained (Plastik, Keramik),
but I would guess light and riscos could be moved to kdeartwork. But
that's just my $0.02.

Thanks for the feedback!

--
Matthew