List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Oxygen accessibility and Tango compliance
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten.rahn () credativ ! de>
Date:       2007-01-06 11:59:46

Am Freitag, 5. Januar 2007 23:41 schrieb Matthew Woehlke:
> Jesse Schalken wrote:
> >> I feel that for these high resolutions the classical usability visual
> First: All my computers run at 1600x1200 resolution (technically, this
> one runs at 3200x1200; two screens at 1600x1200). I've been running that

Sorry, but what you're telling me is very likely not at all related to what I
was talking about, because:

1) You are effectively talking about screen size. But that wasn't my concern
at all.
While 1600x1200 might sound like a high resolution, at 20' it's just a large
screen size.
While the term "resolution" often refers to the screen geometry (i.e. the
number of pixels available in x and y-direction, that's quite a misleading
term. The correct use for it would actually be the number of dots per inch
(dpi). That number is often between 72-96 dpi.

When I'm talking about high resolution I mean values of about >=145 dpi. At
that resolution you simply don't want 32x32 icons because that's less than 5
mm for a medium sized icon and less than 2.5 mm for a small icon! At that
size icons are so small that they are hard to recognize already and
especially for people who don't use their computer 24/7 it's a real pain to
manage to do a mouse click on them. On the other hand an icon which measures
1 cm on a 72 dpi screen looks a lot more blurry than an icon which measures 1
cm on a 144 dpi screen. The latter looks sharper and is easier to recognize.

2) What you are referring to is the setup of a developer. I know that some
people who are developing software and websites develop at high screen size
often combined with the use of multiple monitors at once.
The reason is that during the code development they have multiple konsoles or
browsers opened in parallel (not "stacked" upon each other, i.e. without
using tabs) to compare output and to make sure that they can quickly browse
between them. Recently another good reason for such setups is the usage of
virtual machines (like VMWare, QEMU, etc.) where you want to see a "full
sized" window that doesn't cover the whole screen.

Sorry to tell you, but those setups are hardly representative for our target
group and certainly weren't what my concern was about.

My concern was about high resolutions (i.e. >= 145 dpi) used by people who
occasionally are using computers. Those people are certainly not screen space
paranoid and usually prefer real life sized beautiful objects that are easy
to click.

Torsten