List:       kde-artists
Subject:    [kde-artists] KIcon
From:       Hamish Rodda <rodda () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-22 5:14:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

I'm on a bit of a Q3 and K3 cleanup drive at the moment. I'm writing to ask
what properties from the old KIcon (now known as K3Icon) we want to retain in
Qt4.  Here's a refresher:

    /**
     * The group of the icon.
     */
    enum Group {
	/// No group
	NoGroup=-1,
	/// Desktop icons
	Desktop=0,
	/// First group
	FirstGroup=0,
	/// Toolbar icons
	Toolbar,
	/// Main toolbar icons
        MainToolbar,
	/// Small icons
	Small,
	/// Panel (Kicker) icons
	Panel,
	/// Last group
	LastGroup,
	/// User icons
	User
   };

With this, icons can be assigned to groups, so (iirc) you could have a
different icon for a specific icon name on the toolbar vs on the desktop vs
on the panel etc.

Do we want to keep this distinction anymore?  I.e., is there an interest in
providing different icons for a specific named icon in different situations -
was it even used much in KDE < 4?

    /**
     * These are the standard sizes for icons.
     */
    enum StdSizes {
        /// small icons for menu entries
        SizeSmall=16,
        /// slightly larger small icons for toolbars, panels, etc
        SizeSmallMedium=22,
        /// medium sized icons for the desktop
        SizeMedium=32,
        /// large sized icons for the panel
        SizeLarge=48,
        /// huge sized icons for iconviews
        SizeHuge=64,
        /// enormous sized icons for iconviews
        SizeEnormous=128
    };

Now that KIcon is a size-independent representation of an icon, I think these
sizes are irrelevant - any disagreements?

    /**
     * Defines the possible states of an icon.
     */
    enum States { DefaultState, ///< The default state.
		  ActiveState,  ///< Icon is active.
		  DisabledState, ///< Icon is disabled.
		  LastState      ///< Last state (last constant)
    };

QIcon (from which KIcon is derived) provides this already:
enum QIcon::Mode { Normal, Disabled, Active, Selected }

.. so I can't see any reason to keep this.

    /**
     * This defines an overlay, a semi-transparent image that is
     * projected onto the icon. They are used to show that the file
     * represented by the icon is, for example, locked, zipped or hidden.
     */
    enum Overlays {
      LockOverlay=0x100, ///< a file is locked
      ZipOverlay=0x200,  ///< a file is zipped
      LinkOverlay=0x400, ///< a file is a link
      HiddenOverlay=0x800, ///< a file is hidden
      ShareOverlay=0x1000, ///< a file is shared
      OverlayMask = ~0xff
    };

Overlays are not supported by QIcon, so I would imagine that this will stay
(and get moved to KIcon).  Is the current list of overlays comprehensive
enough?

Any other ideas for improvements in KIcon also welcome...

Cheers,
Hamish

PS.  I am not subscribed, so please cc me