List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Licenses on the Crystal Icon Set?
From:       Danil Dotsenko <dd () accentsolution ! com>
Date:       2006-08-18 4:40:54

On Thursday 17 August 2006 21:12, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 12:59:28PM -0600, Ian Kabeary wrote:
> >>    I was wondering if you could tell me what license the crystal SVG
> >>    iconset is under?
> >
> > The icons in KDE are LGPL.
>
> This has been brought up again, so I will ask again: How can they be
> LGPL if the source has NEVER been released?

Images by their mere nature are editable, hence sorta contain the source in
itself. If you talk about the parts / components of images aka SVGs, they are
often not the "source" in the sense that you "run" that and get the same
icon.
In that regard LGPL for imagery is like applying Creative Common's
Share-alike, Yes-derivatives, Yes-commercial, No-attribution.

That's just the way of thinking I worked out for, at least, myself to make the
situation with "lgpl'ed images" appear sane.

Will it work for you?

--
Danil Dotsenko

 (\ /)