List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] HiColor-GNOME
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-08-02 4:21:03

Josef Spillner wrote:
> Alle 21:36, marted́, 1. agosto 2006, Daniel Leidert ha scritto:
>> Hicolor is not a GNOME theme, nor a full icon-theme. So a desktop
>> running only the hicolor-icon-theme, will not show you many (different)
>> icons. It's just (or better: it should be) the default fallback-theme.
>> It's the right place to install theme-icons for applications,
>> MIME-types, .... So the icons in this theme are provided by several
>> software packages.
>
> Sorry I mixed this up again. But the theme selector adds to the confusion: Why
> should a fallback theme be selectable by the user explicitely? It could mean
> that on every machine where it is selected it gives a different look.
>
> And since 'hicolor' is a name chosen for backwards compatibility only, there's
> no reason to ever expose it to users.

Well that is the question, isn't it.

A while ago when KDE first changed the HiColor icon theme to KDEClassic
(was that a good idea?  Probably, but we shouldn't have moved all the
icons) it was clearly stated that KDE should support HiColor:

http://developer.kde.org/~larrosa/iconthemes.html

But this was a bit confused.  Several iterations of acting without
thinking things through followed.  HiColor icons were installed as
CrystalSVG and CrystalSVG icons were installed as HiColor.  GNOME
decided to support HiColor and then decided not to install icons as HiColor.

Now we have a mess.  We have a fall back icon theme that doesn't contain
many icons -- not good.  Nobody comes up with solutions; all they do as
say what they won't do.

--
JRT