List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Folder icon geometry issues (Oxygen set)
From:       Danil Dotsenko <dd () accentsolution ! com>
Date:       2006-06-20 6:17:25

Monday 19 June 2006 09:04 David Vignoni wrote:
> > 3. How about just being really original and draw the folder vertically?
> > (see attachment)
> > - it can lay flat and have shadow around it, just like MIMEs
> > - MIMEs will visually "fit" inside and be approximately proportionate to
> > the folder now.
>
> dude, while I could say that you just have to rotate the files to have
> them fitting :) I'll also say that if folders and mimetypes has
> (basically) the same shape this will the worst thing to do in terms of
> usability because shapes also are useful to recognize a category of
> icons as well as colors. Your proposal and motivation for a vertical
> rectangular folder is just ridiculous IMHO. To make sense the folder
> should be a little open but this would be the perfect Vista icons
> rip-off.
> > - Vertical-ness can still be called "somewhat original"
>
> unless you know this is Vista icons.

Your justifications for either "yes" or "no" on a proposition make me greatly
concerned about the visual fate of KDE's future. You answer, again shows lack
of depth in awareness of the landscape around you. Your own argument of "It's
Vista-like, so it's a no-no." can easily be turned around on
you. "Horizontal, frontal view, yellow-brown, slightly open folders are so
Windows 95-to-XP!"

"It's MS, so we are not doing it" is a shallow, almost childish answer, no
matter how you turn it. I don't see how limiting yourself artificially can
result in a good product. Besides, MS does not own "verticalness", which,
compared to "horizontalness" is rather fresh. But, never mind...

You guys are doing a bang job! Way to go! Ra ra ra! "Piece of charcoal" for
digikam icon all the way!

--
Danil Dotsenko

 (\ /)