List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] small kdebase cleanup proposal
From:       Benjamin Meyer <benjamin.meyer () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2005-10-29 21:39:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 29 October 2005 07:04 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > In kdebase pics/crystalsvg/ and applnk/ have been kind of a dumping
> > ground for "images" and "desktop" files in the past.  In an effort to
> > clean them up I would like to do the following:
> >
> > 1) Move all the packages (icon and desktop files) into
> > workspace/application-packages/
> >
> > For example the files: applnk/kde-toys.directory and
> > pics/crystalsvg/crsc-app-package_toys.svgz
>
> The ones for the new menu system should go in a directory indicating
> that they are the xdg menu directories.
>
> > 2) Move all the kcontrol menu, directory and desktop files into
> > workspace/kcontrol/applnk
> >
> > 3) Make workspace/3rd-party/pics and move all the 3rd party crystal icons
> > into it such as cr48-app-gaim.png.  This will allow us to make a
> > workspace/3rd-party/desktop/ if we want to.
>
> There are a lot of third party icons which are not Crystal style in:
> "kdebase/pics/crystalsvg":
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/Icons/other-icons-kdebase.txt
>
> [This list is possibly not up to date and may not be complete]
>
> I don't see that these are needed and should probably just be deleted.
> If they are needed, they should be installed as HiColor since they are
> not Crystal style.

There are a dozen or so generic crystal svg icons (wp, penguin, tux, e-mail,
camera, aim, etc).  Are these official crystal icons?  Do they really belong
in kdelibs/pics?

Is the main reason for this directory to exist it to provide crystal icons for
3rd party applications that don't have crystal looking icons?

-Benjamin Meyer