List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Crystal Clear release!
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-07-01 14:48:55

David Vignoni wrote:
> I think Luciano Montanaro and Hermann Thomas are right. Everaldo can
> choose to or not release the "sources".
> People are asking for SVG sources but icons aren't binary programs,
> you don't have to compile a source to get the final icon and the is no
> rule saying that a PNG image needs to have an SVG source. Let's think
> about gnome icons. Most of them were made by Jimmac using the gimp, an
> image editor, there are no vector. What's a source for a gimp made
> icon? the XCF file?

Yes, the XCF file with all of the layers would be the source.

> I think KDE can choose to use LGPL distribuited icons without an
> editable vector file like clear-crystal or to just say: no thanks.
> We'll go with another icontheme with vector sources, or pick tthe best
> icons from different lgpl icon themes.
>
> You can't ask to Everaldo to make SVGs to be able to release his icons
> under LGPL. Why he has to limitate his skills by using a not yet
> perfect format? avoiding to use features from he's prefered
> illustration tool?

I don't see this as a source issue.  The issue is that we need to be
able to release SVGs.  So, we need either SVGs that do NOT contain Adobe
extensions or AI files that have the option to open them in Acrobat
Reader enabled.

> I think a license different from LGPL needs to be created.

We have what we call the "KDE Icon License".

--
JRT