List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Crystal Clear release!
From:       Luke-Jr <luke-jr () utopios ! org>
Date:       2005-06-23 17:11:19

On Thursday 23 June 2005 16:46, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> El Jueves 23 Junio 2005 16:49, Rainer Endres escribió:
> The files are perfectly editable, by the way, and they are useful for
> further modification.

Binary programs are editable also (I've written a few small ones in a hex
editor). Yes, it's harder, but it is also similarly harder to edit a PNG
generated from a SVG than it is to edit the SVG itself.

> You may still layer element on top of them, scale them and so on.

This could be equivalent to editing strings or resources in a binary program.

> As for the Crystal SVG files, I think those are from Everaldo too, isn't
> it? In this case, the LGPL does not apply to him.

No, but it does apply to everyone else. If everyone else does not have the
means to comply with the LGPL, they cannot distribute the icons.

> Maybe I used the wrong word. I'll try to explain with an example.
> I make a beautiful snapshot with my digital camera, and I make a background
> of it, cropping and scaling it with krita.
> I publish it under the (L)GPL on kde-look. If your reading of the LGPL is
> correct, I should provide the original photograph to everyone requesting
> it, which may be annoying.

No, you don't need to provide the original photo, but everybody else *does*.
If you want everyone else to be able to redistribute the wallpaper without
the source photo, don't use the LGPL.

> I was trying being nice, and now I have an unwanted burden.

No, you're just left as the only person who can distribute the wallpaper. You
can then still grant another different license allowing others to do the
same.

> Under my view of the licensing agreement, the user may use the background
> as he prefers, he may modify the image with whatever he likes, and publish
> it again, with the same license and with my copyiright intact.

That is not the LGPL. That would be similar to a binary program under an as-is
license.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios