List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: KDE logo
From:       David Vignoni <david () icon-king ! com>
Date:       2005-02-17 8:59:23

Torsten Rahn wrote:
Hi Torstern,

> To me the "cornered" gear looks too stiff though. That was actually the reason
> why I took my old cornered version of the lineart icon and added some more
> curves to make it look less static.
> I'd be really interested to see a version which doesn't use the cornered gear
> (as well as the absolutely straight K).

For me the curved version make it approsimative, it looks like a sketch
IMHO, I would really prefer to see the straight K+gear.
A compromise should be making the straight corners a little more rounded
but keeping lines straight, I feel it will look more professional.

> One of the reasons behind introducing the new logo was that:
> - we want the colour of the logo to be based on a well defined colour that
> would make it possible for us to have more consistent looking printed
> material during events, etc. . That's why we chose a certain Pantone color
> (300C) for the logo.

that's right, especially for the plain logo, but for screen
presentations, websites, icons and so on, I think a crystalish version
is needed.

> - we wanted to get rid of the XPish and very saturated colour palette as a
> whole towards a new more desaturated more serious looking colour palette.

... this will apply to icons too? are you planning to repaint all
crystal/kde icons with the new palette?
did you noticed I posted a nuvola palette for illustrator here
http://www.icon-king.com/index.php?p=26 , anyway it contains all those
XPish colours that you're going to remove.

>  We'll start meeting on #kde-artist next at
> 19:00 CT tomorrow to work on the palette. It would be nice if you would join
> us :-)

19:00 GMT, ok!  but you wrote in the late night... for "tomorrow" do you
mean today or friday?

David