List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST: The (SVG) Shadow lives!
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-12-09 3:54:38

I finished the linear shadow.  See attached.

While this is probably OK for small sizes, I notice that there is a rendering
artifact with the mitered shadow corners (as I feared).  Rounding the corners
would help at the expense of more complexity.

Also if you un-gzip this and look at in an editor you will find stuff like:

	<a:midPointStop

This appears to be an AI extension to SVG.

	xmlns:a="http://ns.adobe.com/AdobeSVGViewerExtensions/3.0/"

I removed them from one gradient and it fixed a problem and doesn't seem to make
much difference.  Do we really need these in our SVG icons?

I will try the round corners if I get around to it, and also make one that uses
discrete shading like the "tiger".  See attached extract: test-tiger.svg.  Look
at it with high magnification in InkScape or Sodipodi.  Tends to defeat the
purpose of SVG :-) -- doesn't it.

The real answer appears to be an addition to the SVG spec that does a gradient
between two paths.

--
JRT

["crsc-mime-empty.svgz" (image/svg+xml)]
["test-tiger.svg" (image/svg+xml)]