List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: Fwd: Artwork : KDM User Pictures
From:       Kenneth Wimer <wimer () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-11-06 16:46:08

* Hermann Thomas <h.thomas@gmx.de> [Nov 06. 2004 14:02]:
> > They should all have vector versions available, but yes, they should all
> > follow the same "rules".
> Why should they be vector based? The Usericons made of photographs have much
> more emotions and are much better suited as an "Placeholder" for real Pepole.
> Anyway if you say that they all schoul be be vectorbased why did you say to
> add a few from Adrien's set?

Because some of the files are possible to include as SVG. I haven't
discussed anything with Adrien concerning these files other than to
suggest that we use a few of them. (I was tending to stay away from the
abstract ones thought).

> The Hans Karlsson set would be the right choice for now until there is another
> better vector based set avalible.

And perhaps you are right on this. We have wasted so much effort
discussing this that I almost ready to stop discussing things are start
doing real work.

> > Of coure I was suggesting removing many of the pics that are included
> > now.
>
> That also means that my 5 pixelbased pics should be taken out of CVS.
> Those are:
> BeachBall.png
> Butterfly.png
> Flower.png
> Frog.png
> Teddybear.png

If you say now that there are no vector based files for these and nobody
has any intention fo making them, then yes, it might be better in the
long run to remove them.

> > I think that KDE only needs to include one set of these kind of icons.
> > Extra stuff should be kept extra. And we do have to change somethings in
> > between major versions or ntohing wouls get done.
>
> I think that as well but thare are some problems with that.
> If you want to make erveryone happy and take all kinds of different artwork
> the whole thing will look inconsisten and rather childisch.
> If we choose to use a nice set of Artwork the whole thing(KDE) will look more
> Professional and conststant in itself. That also means that someone starts
> crying because his/her little "whatever.png" icon is missing.

Good lord I said that wee should discuss this, and that anyone with good
ideas on how to improve thingss should step up. I did not mean that I was
going to change anything overnight. Perhaps you want to work on this
stuff? You seem to be interested in it enough :-)

> > current package so I do not think it would hurt to work on this stuff
> > some more. That was my point.
>
> Yes I agree but that  means for the time beeing there is nothing else to
> choose from. We have to stay with the usericons from Hans Karlson and take my
> 5 out and work/wait for a better set.

Or we could stop complaining about things that we are not willing to change
ourselves and start changing things.

Once again, this list has been reduced to long threads concerning the
work of one or perhpas two people. Things will never work this way.

There is so much interest in the art stuff here, but everyone seems to
want to redefine the wheel at the first chance. I strongly suggest that
we all start working together on the many different projects that are
underway. There is enough work to be done, that is for sure.

Bye,
Kenneth

--
SUSE LINUX - a Novell business