List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: KDE default icon theme
From:       David Vignoni <david () icon-king ! com>
Date:       2004-10-29 7:31:48

> Hello all,
> I was working on the Crystal color palette last night and I just can't help
> but ask... Could we *discuss* the possibility of changing the default theme
> to Nuvola. My reasons:
> 1. consistant metaphors
> 2. consistant color palette
> 3. It has a Crystal feel to it.
> 4. It already has a ton of icons.
> 5. We could use Crystal to fill in the gaps.
> 6. It's fun and professional.
> 7. David is actively maintaining it (not making a new theme)
> 8. Looks great with the Plastik window deco.
> 9. It has the highest rating on KDE-look (92%) and almost 100,000 downloads.
> So it is obvious people like it.
> 10. There is a million other reasons but mainly it looks better.
> 11. Change is good.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Janet

Thanks to the guys making a wish in change to Nuvola

> Though Nuvola still has two problems which have to be fixed: first, \
> toolbar icons for Konqueror are too  cartoonish and IMHO childish (take a look at \
> default Firefox toolbar icons and see how good they are),  and second, folder icons \
> \ in Nuvola have very disturbing perspective. Nuvola's toolbar icons for  Konqueror \
> \ doesn't fit well with the rest of the icons, and the great and clean design of \
> all \ the other icons  from the set is spoiled by disturbing folder icons. There \
> are some \
                other minor inconsistencies in Nuvola

Think this is a personal consideration, most people doesn't find folder perspective \
disturbing.

> like: some of the mime type icons have a blue stripe and others not,

this is untrue- only "actions" mime-like icons have blue stripe, did you installed \
version 1.0?

> some of icons \
> (both application  and devices) have crystal touch and some are still very \
> cartoonish.

That's true, and the reason why is some icons are the same since version 0.2 and I \
think since then I've improved and changed a bit my style.

> Anyway, Nuvola as it is now is much better icon set then Crystal as it is now. \
> Let's \ see what is  Everaldo cooking now and which improvements he will make to \
> it.

I know Nuvola will never be default KDE theme, but I see many distros (speccialy \
little ones) are switching to it and this make me really happy. Of course I would be \
happy if one day a theme created by will be default of my favorite DE but I'll be \
also very happy if Nuvola should be included in the  KDE distribution, this would be \
a great incentive , since for now I don't have someone supporting me to this,  I \
really make it just cause I love to make it.

David