List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: KDE default icon theme
From:       Wade Olson <wadejolson () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-10-28 19:07:24

That's a good point, however this type of checklist could be considered the scrunity of work's
adherence to the AIG/CIG, among other elements.

The CIG doesn't cover licensing, artist availabilty, completeness, etc and likely shouldn't.  But
we certainly shouldn't be creating more criterium for its own sake.

AIG/CIG: How to do professional work
Guidelines: How to get that proessional work into KDE

As KDE has matured and gained success, it's sensible to think that a shift would be made from
begging artists to do any modicum of work in the past, to taking a critical eye to the volume of
existing and potential work (whether icons or screensavers or wallpapers or window decorations).

On the topic of waiting for a major release to implement an icon change:  It's a bit
counter-intuitive, but icons sets really do drive many other desktop presentation decisions (due
to work load).

Icons themes drive color palettes, themes, wallpapers, splash screens, and maybe even default font
choices.  Artists and distros need time to absorb and react.  And of course, most importantly (to
me), icon choices will hopefully drive the long-needed change to the outdated hi-color Control
Center panels (ooh, is that a 15" CRT and 2 MB GForce 2?)

Wade