List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: HiColor Icons
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-10-21 14:44:43

On Thursday 21 October 2004 10:57, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> * James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> [Oct 21. 2004 12:10]:
> > So, I am going to start a new thread and ask that we try to stay on
> > topic.
> >
> > I submitted a Thunderbird icon that had the background removed.  This was
> > simple because I had already done it and it was sitting around on my
> > system (as are a bunch of other HiColor icons if anyone wants them).
> >
> > But, I noticed that this is here:
> >
> > 	kdebase/pics/crystalsvg/cr32-app-thunderbird.png
> >
> > in the source tree.  Since this is NOT a CrystalSVG icon, I wonder why it
> > was placed there when it should be here:
> >
> > 	kdebase/pics/hicolor/hi32-app-thunderbird.png
> >
> > The problem is worse than that though.  There is no directory:
> >
> > 	kdebase/pics/hicolor
> >
> > This does appear to be a bug and I will file a report.
> >
> > If we are going to continue to have themed icons and comply with the
> > FreeDesktop standards for themed icons:
> >
> > 	http://freedesktop.org/Standards/icon-theme-spec/0.8/
> >
> > And as I noted, we have published guidelines:
> >
> > 	http://developer.kde.org/~larrosa/iconthemes.html
> >
> > I have also noticed several instances of application's private icons that
> > were installed as HiColor simply having the root directory renamed to:
> > "crystalsvg" with NO changes to the icons.  Why?
> >
> > The point of this is that icons that are not Crystal style should not be
> > installed as CrystalSVG.  If they are generic, or unthemed, icons, they
> > should be installed as HiColor.  If this standard is not adhered to, the
> > whole idea of themed icons is going to fail to work properly
> >
> > In the case of the Thunderbird icon.  The HiColor icon is installed as
> > CrystalSVG, so what is going to happen if if someone makes an actual
> > Crystal style icon?  Also, in theory at least, the generic icon needs to
> > be installed as HiColor so that if someone is using a theme (other than
> > CrystalSVG or KDEClassic) that if that theme doesn't have that icon it
> > will use the HiColor one -- this is the way it is supposed to work but if
> > the icons aren't in the correct directories, it isn't going to work that
> > way.
> >
> > In the case of private HiColor icons incorrectly installed as CrystalSVG,
> > this doesn't cause any problems for me since I use KDEClassic -- the
> > problem is for people that use CrystalSVG.  If there is an (actual)
> > CrystalSVG icon with that name installed globally and there is a HiColor
> > icon incorrectly installed privately as CrystalSVG then it is the private
> > HiColor icon that is displayed and there is no way to properly theme that
> > icon.
>
> It seems apparent that we need to watch this stuff much more closely. If
> you will maintain the hicolor, I can do the crystal stuff. I am sure
> that other people will also offer to watch the themes that they include.
>
> Does anyone have anything against this idea?

No, I think it's a good idea. I touched it in my mail about icon names
standardization[1] and it is a big problem in KDE(almost all applications
icons install into crystalsvg).

/Every/ application should install an application icon into hicolor, such that
its icon is available for all themes, crystalsvg or not. If there's then a
crystalsvg icon too, it should be in kdelibs/pics/crystalsvg, and
subsequently be installed in crystalsvg. I think this is easiest done by
hacking the build system such that "KDE_ICON = AUTO" outside
kdelibs/pics/crystalsvg install *app*.png icons into hicolor(instead of
currently crystalsvg).

When the new candy is in the spec -- the icon cache and a set of names -- we
can fork kdelibs/pics/crystalsvg into a project in kdenonbeta, and there
build a perfect theme from the ground up, where each icon that goes in,
conforms to technical details as well as design guildelines. It would be a
SVG only, where PNG version are generated automatically.

Two cents,

		Frans

1.
http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/xdg/2004-October/005084.html