List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST: License for locolor / kdeclassic icon themes
From:       Ben Burton <bab () debian ! org>
Date:       2004-10-14 9:55:20

Hi,

For KDE 3.3 the locolor / kdeclassic icon themes are shipped with the
following license:

  The images inside this directory are COMPLETELY FREE for commercial
  and non-commercial use.

Is it possible to clarify this license regarding what we can and cannot
do?  e.g., may we modify the images?  may we redistribute them?

From what I can tell, the implicit assumption is that we can do what we
like with them.  However it would be nice if this could be made
explicit, since AIUI the default interpretation of a license is that you
cannot do something unless the copyright holder tells you that you can.

If this could be clarified I would appreciate it.  My particular
interest in this issue is that I package kdeartwork for debian, which is
a distribution that gets particularly cautious and careful about license
terms.

Please CC me on any replies, since I'm not subscribed to kde-artists.

Thanks - Ben.

(CCing David Faure who made the commit.)