List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: Bug 48583 (Again)
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-09-04 23:26:05

Kenneth Wimer wrote:

<SNIP>

>> Actually, that isn't a parallel cable.  It is a generic Mini-D plug.  And,
>> I doubt your premise.  Due the the problematic nature of USB, many devices
>> still come with parallel connections.
>>
> I suggest a long walk through the nearest computer store. Look closely at the
>  devices as you walk by. You will find that you are incorrect.

Must have happened in the last year, which isn't really a long time.  Seriously,
I was looking at printers last year and a lot of them had parallel connections.
And, IIUC, it was not just that they still had them, it was that some
manufacturers had started making them with parallel ports again (with *both*
parallel and USB). Perhaps the fact that new models don't have parallel ports
(again) is an indication that USB finally works.

> What problems exist with USB? 6 years of suse and I have never heard of one
> problem with USB devices that does not also apply to parallel and/or serial
> devices.

I have heard of many horror stories about USB, so you should consider yourself
very lucky.  No specific problems, just that stuff wouldn't work correctly.  My
favorite one is that you had to plug them in in a specific order for it to work.
Much of these problems were caused by USB 1.0 hardware and firmware that didn't
really conform to the specification.

> If a device has no driver, it has no driver, independent of whether USB works
>  or not.

This isn't Windows, so what do you mean by 'driver'.  It is an additional
problem with USB that you need an actual device driver in addition to the
software necessary to use the device.  That is, with a parallel port connected
printer, you need the driver for the parallel port as well as the software to
use the printer but you assume the parallel port driver since it has been part
of the Kernel for many years.  With a USB printer you need a driver for a USB
printer device in addition to the software to use the actual printer.  None of
this has anything to do with the Windows context in which you use the term
'driver', but it is something that applies to USB that doesn't apply to parallel
port devices unless they are SCSI emulation over a parallel port which has
issues much like USB.  The same applies to devices previously connected to an
RS-232 serial port.  To use a USB modem, even if a hardware modem, you also need
a USB device driver for it.

>> But your complaint is with someone else's choice of icons.  This is the
>> icon: "input_devices_settings" from the current release.
>
> I could live with the old cable if the colors in this icon fit to the colors
> in the other icons.

I didn't make the icon, just corrected the contrast.  I guess that it could be
made bluer.

<SNIP>

>> Well, there is a bug, and I wondered why the desktop icon was again put in
>> the "wrong" place".  This is what is the most obvious.
>
> Because the bug was not solved in an acceptable manner, I guess (I had
> nothing to do with this and have no idea why).

It was fixed by moving the desktop icon to the correct place (#5).

What would you say was not acceptable about this?

But with what is now called: blue-bend, they were switched back in 3.2.  I have
no idea why.

> I do agree with the decision to keep it the way it is. Only a very few people
>  seem to have a problem with the splash as is and if the "improvement"
> creates other bugs then it is not worth the effort.

If you don't like my other changes, that is OK, but I do not understand why the
desktop icon doesn't correspond to: "Loading the desktop".

>> The uneven spacing remains an issue to me.
>
> The files are on ftp.suse.de/pub/people/wimer/ so by all means fix this
> problem :-) I was unaware of this.

Actually, that is an issue in the code:

kdebase/ksplashml/themeengine/default/themelegacy.cpp [line 264]:
------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
   offs = state * 58;
   if (state == 3)
     offs += 8;
   else if (state == 6)
     offs -= 8;

This doesn't space the frames for the icons evenly -- can't understand what
someone was thinking when they did that.  Also for the record, this should be a:
"case" and in any case (:-)), the else isn't needed.

The small patch: "spacing-3.3.0.patch" fixes it, but might cause problems with
other themes designed for the 'wrong' spacing.

--
JRT

["spacing-3.3.0.patch.bz2" (application/x-tar)]